Visa Run to Laos

One benefit of being a part of the ASEAN community is the opportunity to travel to different countries without needing a visa. Example, Filipinos who travel to Thailand are issued a visa on arrival valid for 30 days (which is plenty of time to travel around the country). However, for those who intend to stay longer, a visa is needed to stay legally.

For those who are already in Thailand, like myself, I need to leave the country and then apply for my visa. Since I live in Ubon Ratchathani, the closest exit would be Laos. There are 2 options. One is in Chongmek and the other is in Savannaketh.

Crossing the border at Chongmek.

I've been to both exits and they have their advantages. Chongmek is quick and easy. You'll get a 15-days permit to stay in Thailand after you cross the border to Laos and back to Thailand. It's quite exciting to go to a different country by foot.

Going to Savannaketh would take a little bit of preparation because you have to stay there for a night since visas are issued a day after the application is submitted. This is the option for those who are applying for a long-term visa like employment. Savannakhet is a small city. It reminds me of my grandma's town in Surigao del Sur.

Just making sure I wrote down the correct information.
Yay! I got my claim stub!

I've been to Savannakhet twice and we stayed at the same hotel both times. I'm pretty sure the staff recognizes us. The hotel was conveniently situated near the market, so we were able to buy some stuff after applying for my visa. I love their bed. It was so comfy!

Sulinsouk Hotel
after our long nap

It was a good trip. I ate, slept, and got what I went there for. Success!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!