The Beginning of My Adventure

After 30 minutes of trying to figure out how to start my own blog, here I am typing my first entry. It's 6:37pm, Sunday night. While most people are at home with their families, I am in my humble apartment pondering on the events that have occurred in the past few weeks.

I am in a foreign land. Though it is not my first time to be in Ubon Ratchathani, being in a new place still leaves me feeling like an outcast. I live in an apartment complex consisting of 4 units. The units are very modest. Each unit has two sections: a bedroom and a bathroom. There's a little bit of open space at the back which is intended for laundry purposes. It's not much, but it's more than what I expected. Other than the Science teacher who lives next door (Kwang), I do not know anyone in  the neighborhood. I guess I could be sulking and crying over my current situation but instead of feeling pathetic about it, I actually feel liberated. I guess being on my own makes me feel that way.

Anyway, I teach at a private tutoring company here in Ubon Ratchathani. The company is called INTERNATIONAL HOUSE OF TUTORING (IHOT). It's an after-school program where students can get additional practice and coaching. The company offers classes in English, Math, and Science. I am an English teacher and I love my job. I first taught at IHOT when I was an intern earlier this year. I mostly taught middle school students although I had some younger ones too. My youngest student was 9 and the oldest was 16. I just fell in love with the job. When my boss offered a teaching position for the 2nd Term, I accepted wholeheartedly .

Other than teaching, I love my job because of the people I work with. I have found myself an OHANA here in Thailand. Each of us have our unique personalities and we accept our imperfections. It's actually those "imperfections" that makes us such a great group.


Here's a picture of us. From the left is Wiwi, our AMAZING secretary. She keeps everyone on the same page. I always refer to her as the "backbone" of the company. Without her, we wouldn't know what to do. Sitting next to Wiwi is P'A. He works as a consultant for Everclever, a company which offers analysis on fingerprints. I'm the one in the pink shirt... happy and energetic as always. Across from me is Rommel. He's also an English teacher. I first met him when we were both studying in Hawaii. Sitting next to Rommel is teacher Kwang. She's my neighbor and our new Science teacher. Our boss, Herb is the one taking the picture. Hahaha!

Classes start on Tuesday, October 1st. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. First day of school still makes everyone feel giddy...including the teachers. It will be a great adventure. I just know it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!