What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me


I've heard many mothers describe the pain and ordeal of childbirth and I've read and received countless of suggestions on how to get through it like walking, squats, breathing exercises, yoga, etc. I knew it was going to be painful, but nothing prepared me for the discomfort that lay ahead.

November 8, 2016, 11:30am. The start of my 13 hours of labor. I was already in so much pain prior to arriving at the hospital earlier that morning. I have been suffering from diarrhea for 3 days which was the very reason why we were in the hospital in the first place. I thought I was having contractions, but the frequent visit to the toilet proved otherwise. Gian was very worried that I'll dehydrate and that it might harm the baby, so we called my OB and was advised to go to the ER.

My test came back positive with Amoebiasis and that's when my doctor decided that I have to be admitted. Within minutes, an IV line was inserted and medications were administered. I was fine for the first couple of hours. My thoughts were still coherent and I was capable of having short conversations. But as the hours passed, each contraction became pure torture. I howled, I cried, and I whimpered in pain.

Gian was given permission to check on me from time to time, but even my husband's presence was not enough to console me in my anguish. I heard him giving me encouragements, but I was already in so much pain and all he got were evil looks in response. I was ready to wave my white flag. I asked for my OB and was told that she was on her way. I waited and endured one painful contraction after another. I was determined to ask her to just do a C-Section and end my torment.

I somehow drifted in and out of sleep as the agony continued. It's was already 8pm. Weren't they supposed to give me an epidural? Wait, did I really fall asleep or did I pass out? I could no longer differentiate whether I was dreaming or not. All I remember was feeling thirsty, sweaty and wanting to pee all the time. I was miserable.

My doctor finally arrived at 10pm and seeing her face somehow meant that the pain was about to end. I was prepped, wheeled into the delivery room and was given an epidural. Although I've resigned myself to the idea of having a C-Section, my doctor pursued the natural course of action. Thankfully, my body responded positively because I was then fully dilated. It was time to push.

After what seemed like an eternity of pushing, our baby girl was born on November 09, 2016, 12:26am. It would be a crime to take credit for getting her out into the world because I surely did not do it by myself. With the help of two on-duty OB's, an anesthesiologist, my doctor, a handful of nurses, and a vacuum, I delivered Rei Iwamoto Ragasa in what they call as an "assisted vaginal delivery." She weighed 6.5lbs and measured 51cm.

I know my experience is nothing compared to other women out there. I could only imagine those who have to give birth outside the comfort of a hospital and without an epidural. I do not and will not compete with their strength or pain tolerance. If this experience taught me anything, it is the fact that I could not have gone through it on my own.

As I ponder on the events of my daughter's birth, I can't help but think about the Atonement and how it was the only thing that kept me going when I was ready to give up. Throughout the 13 hours of painful labor, my thoughts repeatedly turned to the Savior and His suffering for all mankind. I received comfort knowing that He knew exactly what I was going through. I pleaded for His help and I knew my prayers were heard. I don't think any human being can endure the pain of childbirth without heaven's help. In those moments of pain and anguish, angels -both in heaven and on earth- were there to comfort me. Now I understand when people describe pregnancy/childbirth as "the miracle of life," because it truly is nothing short of a miracle. 

Comments

  1. Wow, at least you still remember the moments Kar. You were able to detail them. After all of these, you are now a mother and you a daughter to be called. Congratulations mommy Karen, you made it after all the help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ate Milds! I really made an effort to write it down kasi I want Rei to know about it when she's old enough. Hehehe! Baka kasi magtanong, buti na yung may ma-isagot ako. Hahaha!

      Delete
  2. Congrats for a successful labor :) yep angels are everywhere and the Atonement of the Savior is real.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience and testimony Ate Kar! Aren't we so blessed to know of the Atonement!? One would hardly survive mortality without it. Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super agree! The atonement makes every pain in mortality bearable. Kaya nga umuulit mag-bear ng children ang mga babae kahit sobrang sakit. hehehe! Miss you too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

Dating 101: You Will Survive!