Loi Krathong Festival

I came back to Thailand on the day of the Loi Krathong Festival. Tired and sleepless from 24 hours of travelling, I slept all morning and woke up just in time to prepare for the festivities.

But first, a quick history lesson on Loi Krathong. It is a festival celebrated annually throughout Thailand. It is celebrated on the full moon of the 12th month of the traditional Thai calendar. This usually falls on November. This festival originated from the ritual of giving offerings  to the water spirits in the olden times. People make Krathong and launch them on the river. Some make wishes when they do it.

Making Krathong is easy but time consuming. It's made from a banana trunk decorated with banana leaves and flowers. To complete it, incense and candle is added.

My Krathong-making teachers - Nok and Wiwi.

The secret: PINS!

Ready to launch my Krathong.

Aside from Krathongs, people also light up flying lanterns. It reminded me so much of the movie Tangled. There weren't as many lanterns at first, but more were lit up as the night passed.

A glimpse of a few lanterns. It would have been prettier if I had a good camera.

It was a great activity to welcome me back to Thailand. I'm glad that I made it just in time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!