Japan and a Super Typhoon

After our Halloween Party at work, I left Thailand for a 2-week vacation to visit my family in Japan. Since direct flights from Thailand to Japan were quite expensive, I opted to go home first to the Philippines then fly to Nagoya the following day. That’s about 9 hours of travelling not including transfers and waiting time. Wheew! It was quite a trip.

We both got 250 Baht after winning a game of BINGO.

I arrived in Japan on November 2 and was welcomed by my adorable niece, who I have not seen for over two years. I was so eager to see her and my family. I decided to take this short trip because I wanted to attend my niece's 5th birthday. I have never been around to celebrate any of her birthdays with the family. In the past few years, I was on my mission and at school.

We went to Grand Bowl a few days after my arrival.

I was in Japan when Yolanda hit the Philippines. It was devastating. Hearing it on the news and seeing pictures on Facebook was disheartening. My heart goes out to all the families in Tacloban. One of my students studying EIL online informed me that her relatives were affected by the typhoon. I feel sorry for her loss. I also have friends in Cubao whose families live in Leyte and my heart aches for them. I pray that they will receive comfort during these challenging times.

Life is hard, but it doesn’t mean that all hope is lost. It is during these troubling times in life that I need to remember that Heavenly Father has a plan for all His children. Yes, tragedies happen, but miracles are happening at the same time too. I am touched by the examples of people who are extending their help to the victims in Tacloban. I am amazed by the aid sent by other countries. These and many more examples show that hope is alive in the hearts of people. 

This reminds me of a quote from a book I recently read. The book was written by Viktor Fankl, a prisoner in a concentration camp during the Nazi Era.
“Man can preserve a vestige of spiritual freedom, of independence of mind, even in such terrible conditions of psychic and physical stress.

We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” (from the book Man's Search for Meaning)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!