Khmer Temple in Sisaket

The province of Ubon Ratchathani is situated in the northeastern part of Thailand. If you travel northward for about three hours, you will reach Savannakhet, Laos. That's where I went to get my visa. If you travel westward from Muang (the city I live in), you'll reach the province of Sisaket which is just above the border of Cambodia. Because of their geographic location, these northeastern provinces have been greatly influenced by its neighboring countries.


Last new year's day, I had the opportunity to visit Sisaket for the first time. Compared to Muang, the city we went to was a little bit smaller and more provincial. It was a great opportunity to travel to a different place and see different sights.

My favorite part of the trip was visiting Wat Sra Kum Peng Yai, a Khmer temple. Since Sisaket is close to Cambodia, several Khmer temples have been built in this region. The architecture is just amazing. The common materials used for building these temples are bricks, sandstone, and laterite. I felt like I was transported to Cambodia as we admired these beautiful ruins.




My pictures aren't so great, but you get the idea. The place was breathtaking. I loved its ancientness. It's like stepping on sacred grounds... and that's actually true because it's a temple. Hahaha! But aside from the scenery, I love the fact that I was able to enjoy such a great sight with friends. They were awesome tour guides and we had loads of fun.




"Travelling is almost like talking with those of other centuries." - Rene Descartes 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!