Last Day of the Semester

When one door closes, another opens...

Today was my last day teaching at IHOT (International House of Tutoring). It's a bittersweet experience. I'm sad because I won't be seeing my students, but I'm also excited because I know that a new adventure awaits. That's the great thing about life, there's always something new in store for all of us.

It's been an amazing experience teaching my students and learning from them as well. I learned that to be a good teacher means being willing to learn from different experiences in the classroom. No lesson is perfect, but it's a teacher's goal to strive for it anyway.

One of my classes was a group of P6 boys ages 12-13. At the beginning of the semester, they were taught by Rommel. However, when Rommel had to move to Sisaket I took over the class and I just loved working with them. Their proficiency was at the beginner to low intermediate level. It was a challenging task to teach them in English when they hardly understood what I was saying. Fortunately, they were very hard working students and we made the most of our class time.

From left to right: Jed, Fluk, and Jang.

My favorite memory with them was our lesson on grocery shopping. The lesson was on the different sections in a grocery store and we were sharing examples for each section. When we talked about the seafood section...

Me: OK, what are some examples of things you can see in the seafood section?
Student 1: fish!
Me: That's right. What else?
Student 2: shrimp... octopus...
Me: Good examples. Anything else?
Student 3: shark! dolphins!
Me: (*.*)

We definitely had a good laugh that day. Even with their limitations, I appreciate that they participated well in class. There were times when I got frustrated because they didn't understand what I was saying, but they were patient and willing to work hard as I tried different ways to teach the topic.

My other class is a group of M6 girls ages 17-18. They were well behaved and listened to every word I said. It was definitely a different scenario compared to my younger class. I love their desire to learn and teaching them was indeed a pleasure.

One of my M6 students, Maprang.

Teaching is not just a career. It's a privilege. Working with my students in an individual level helped me see their unique qualities. They are capable of doing so many things and I pray that they will be successful in their endeavors. I am indeed honored and blessed that I had the opportunity to be called their teacher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!