Hong Kong

The main reason why I traveled to Hong Kong was to visit the LDS temple. Living in Thailand, the closest temples are in Hong Kong and the Philippines. After comparing prices, I decided to go to HK because it was a lot cheaper. There was also a seat sale so it all worked out. Aside from that, it was an opportunity to visit a new place which I could not resist. And since I didn't want to travel by myself, I convinced Rommel to go on this trip together. I am glad that he agreed. So, off we went...

Filipinos do not need a visa to enter HK. Upon arrival, I was issued a 14-days permit by the immigration. It was very convenient because no extra documents were asked to get a visitor's permit.


The Hong Kong Temple has a Patron House for members visiting from other countries. The easiest way to get there from the airport is to take the E22 bus. It costs 18HKD. Hong Kong's public transportation is very reliable and it's the best way to go around the city. The bus passes by the Patron House so you wouldn't really miss it (unless you fall asleep). The bus ride was about 45 minutes long.


The Patron House is the cheapest accommodation for members visiting the temple. It costs 80HKD per person per day. However, it does not have a canteen/cafeteria. You have the option of cooking for yourself or eating out. Eating out is costly, so I suggest buying food and preparing your own meals. The Patron House has a fully-equipped kitchen which is very convenient for those who are staying for a few days. 

Rommel and I arrived at the Patron House around 10pm. It was really late and we were both tired. We haven't eaten yet, so we decided that we'll just find something to eat after we drop off our bags. Just as we were about to leave, we met some Thai sisters who were leisurely eating at the kitchen area. They told us not to bother going out since it was already late. They offered us their food and they took care of us during our whole stay in HK. What a great blessing!

Meet our crew! These are the wonderful sisters who took care of us. P'Ang took the picture.

We spent our mornings in the temple and we went sightseeing in the afternoon. P'Ang was our tour guide because she has visited HK several times. She was very helpful and picked out the best places to visit. It was also nice that they were thrifty travelers so we were able to enjoy our time without spending too much money.

First stop is the Hong Kong Museum of Art. There were several statues around the vicinity which were great photo opportunities.




 Next stop was the Avenue of Stars where they feature the hand prints of several famous people.






Another place we went to was the 1881 Heritage. It was a very posh place and it also featured some historical information about Hong Kong such as the Former Marine Police Headquarters Compound.



We finished our tour for the day watching the Symphony of Lights at Victoria Harbor. It was really windy and cold so we didn't stay for the whole thing. But, it was a lovely sight to see all the magnificent buildings of HK at night.




The great thing about these places was that they were close to each other. We just walked from one destination to the next. Although my legs hurt at the end of the day, I was overjoyed with the places we were able to see.

After a good night's rest, I was up and ready for the next day.

With all the activities in Hong Kong, I thought it would be quite hard to find a place of solitude and quiet. But, I was wrong. Aside from the temple, we actually found two great places where we were able to relax and enjoy some quiet time.

On our second day in HK, we visited the Chi Lin Nunnery. It's really easy to find because it's close to Diamond Hill station. I was amazed to find this quiet sanctuary in the middle of the city. At the main entrance was a brief description of the monastery. I like the last part where it says "When one enters the monastery, it is hoped that one can attain spiritual liberation." Thanks to its relaxing atmosphere, I was able to experience "spiritual liberation."


See the contrast between the buildings and the relaxed atmosphere of the monastery?

Inside the monastery was an exhibit of rare rocks and some Chinese proverbs.


I just love this tree. I don't know why but it has a certain ancient feel to it.

Across the monastery is the Nan Lian Garden. It was so beautiful. Everything was well kept. We spent a good amount of time going around and taking pictures. They also had a rockery in the area and a restaurant.




I thoroughly enjoyed myself visiting different places in HK. However, the highlight of my visit (aside from the temple) was seeing friends from BYUH.

On our last day in HK, I met with Yanny at Mong Kok Station. She and her husband helped me find gifts and souvenirs to take home with me. They also introduced me to some local food. Mong Kok reminded me so much of Divisoria in the Philippines. The streets were packed with people and local merchants. I was grateful that Yanny and her husband were with me because they helped me haggle prices. 


After meeting with Yanny, I met up with Po Ling and Brooke at Tsim Sha Tsui Station. We ate dinner together and walked towards Victoria Harbor. Even though it was a cold evening, we bought soft ice cream for dessert. I actually enjoy eating ice cream in the cold weather because it doesn't melt as fast.


My trip to HK was short but memorable. I loved every minute of it. I enjoyed the company of friends and the places we were able to visit. It might be a while until I get to visit HK again, but it's definitely one of my favorite trips.

“Travel brings power and love back into your life.” - Rumi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!