Why California?

It's been exactly three years since I returned home from serving a full-time mission. It feels like it was just yesterday. I still remember the families I've visited and the streets I've tracted. I miss every minute of it. I miss the people, the food, and testifying about the gospel of Jesus Christ to every person I talk to.

I was in Brigham Young University-Hawaii when I decided to serve a full-time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was not an easy decision. I talked to my bishop about it several times, discussed it with my parents, and prayed earnestly about my choice. I was scared to leave my life behind to serve a mission, but I knew in my heart that it was time for me to serve the Lord. So, I did what I had to do. I took a leap of faith and turned in my mission papers.

When people find out you have submitted your missionary application, it's common for them to ask where you want to serve. The correct answer to that is: "I'll go where the Lord wants me to go." But in reality, we do have our preferences. I prayed every single night that I would be called to the Philippines. Truth be told, I wanted to serve in the Philippines Bacolod Mission. Don't ask why. That's just how I felt at that time.

Finally, the call came and I was so excited. I opened it at Hale 5 lounge, one of BYUH's dormitories. I had my parents on Skype and my sister on the phone as I opened the long awaited mission call. My closest friends were also there with me. It was a great night.

I've never been this happy checking my mailbox.
With my best friends: Lena and Kosh

At Hale 5 lounge after I opened my mission call.

"You are hereby called to serve in CALIFORNIA RIVERSIDE MISSION." It was definitely a surprise seeing that on my mission call. I was happy, excited, and lost for words. Later that night I was on my knees pleading with the Lord that I may be worthy and ready to represent Him as I serve the people in my mission.

I left for the Missionary Training Center five months after I received my call. It was a long and agonizing wait. It took time for my visa to be issued and there was nothing I could do about it. When the supporting documents finally came, I was ready to leave.

This was my class in the MTC. I had two companions: Sis. So'oialo and Hermana Mendez.

I was in the MTC for three weeks then I left for California. I served in five areas and had ten different companions. I know, I had a lot of companions. I was actually in a three-people companionship several times. They always say three's a crowd, but in our case it was three's a party.


I would be lying if I said my mission was perfect. There were definitely some hard times and during those challenging days I often wondered if I was actually accomplishing anything. There were many prayers spent asking the Lord why He sent me to California. I don't think I've really figured out why, but that's OK because in the end I learned that it doesn't matter WHERE but HOW you served.

with President and Sister Reeves

I know that everything happens for a reason. Whether it's our own choices or the will of the Lord, our experiences definitely help us grow. I am grateful that I served in California. I learned a lot from my mission and I wouldn't trade it for anything. As a returned missionary, I share with you the same testimony I bore during my mission...

I know that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and knows us personally. He sent His son, Jesus Christ, to atone for our sins so that we could live with Him again. I know that families can be together forever. I believe in the restoration of the gospel through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I know that he was chosen by the Lord to restore His church again in our time. I know that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God. You can know the truth of these things by reading the Book of Mormon and praying about it. This is my invitation to you. I know that you will receive an answer if you take the time to ask.
"And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." Moroni 10: 4-5 (from the Book of Mormon)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!