Rei Goes to Tagaytay


I’ve been wanting to go on an out-of-town trip for a long time, but both Gian and I have been busy with work and raising a one-year old that we’ve put all of our out-of-town plans on the back burner for the past couple of months. Travelling with a baby is just a lot harder to plan, so we wanted to wait until she is old enough to walk on her own. The perfect opportunity came just after her 1st birthday when I learned that Liz, a BYUH friend, was coming to Manila for a visit. I was so excited and I immediately started planning a day trip to Tagaytay. It was the perfect destination because it’s only a few hours away from Manila, but it’s far enough to get away from the busyness of the Metro.


Transportation:
One of our biggest consideration was how to get to Tagaytay from Quezon City with the least amount of stress as possible. I read blogs of how others planned their trip and after much thought we decided to go by private car.

Since we don’t own a car and both Gian and I don’t know how to drive, the only option was to rent a car and hire someone to drive us around. It was of course more expensive than taking the public bus or van, but with a baby travelling with us, it was our preferred mode of transportation. The convenience was definitely worth every peso.

Budget:
₱ 1,000 - driver
₱ 1,200 - car
₱ 1,000 - gas

1st Stop: Picnic Grove
As one of the most frequently visited parks in Tagaytay, Picnic Grove offers a variety of activities for everyone. We didn’t really do much while we were there. The goal was to relax and see the Taal volcano. We had a nice walk around the park and Rei loved stepping on the dried leaves because it made crunching sounds under her feet. She was also enthralled by the chicken’s loud crow when we passed by some roosters on our way to the viewing deck. Seeing my daughter grin from ear to ear from all the new things she saw was such a delightful experience.

Budget:
₱ 50 - entrance fee
₱ 35 - parking fee
₱ 70 - souvenir magnet

Lunch: Balay Dako
While planning for this trip, I asked Gian what he wanted to do in Tagaytay and his only response was: Eat Bulalo. When I asked our driver/tour guide/new friend where to get the BEST bulalo in Tagaytay, he recommended that we eat at Balay Dako for lunch. It was such a nice place and I really liked their food. Their customer service was also commendable.

Budget: about ₱2,100 for 4 people (Rei had her own food)
We ordered Bulalo, Kare-Kare, and fried lumpia. Their servings were huge! We didn’t finish all our food and took the rest home.


Next Stop: Residence Inn
I was looking forward to visiting Residence Inn after I read another mom’s blog about how her son enjoyed their visit there. I was excited that Rei will have an opportunity to see different animals and that we, as a group, will enjoy and have fun. Well, I was quite disappointed. The place was small, like REALLY small. It only took us about 20-30 minutes to see the whole place which already included a lot of stops along the way. There were plenty of “exotic” animals, but I felt so bad for them because they were in really tight cages. It was depressing. Also, the smell of manure and everything else was quite bothersome and I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I expected. I don’t know if I just set my expectations too high, but it wasn’t a memorable experience for me. Rei, on the other hand, got a lot of “walk time” as she played with Liz and her Papa around the vicinity. Overall, it was definitely an unforgettable experience for all the wrong reasons.

Budget: ₱250 entrance fee for adults

Last Stop: Rowena’s
I fully intended to enjoy the local delicacy during this visit and I was so happy that we stopped by Rowena’s to get some pasalubong to take home. They had plenty of tarts to choose from and it was really hard for me to just pick one. I wanted to buy more, but with only Gian and I who will eat it, I knew I could only buy one box or else we wouldn’t be able to finish all of them before they go bad. My verdict: Their tart is so good I would have been able to eat everything if I bought more. I should have gotten more to bring home. Rowena’s is definitely a must try.

Budget:
₱ 210 - a box of YUMMY Mango tart
₱ 170 - a box of assorted round tarts


This trip taught me that my definition of fun has definitely changed after having a baby. What used to be uneventful have become magical when seen through her eyes. The crunch of dried leaves, dirt, floating bubbles, and a tiny fish in an aquarium - these and other seemingly mundane things were the highlight of her day. Her giggles and excitement reminded me that it did not matter if the zoo was small or if it was incredibly hot that day. She had fun, and that made this trip a memorable one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!