Project ME: Exercise and Supplements

Just like any kind of endeavor, you have to start a little bit at a time. Big changes do not happen all at once. When I started my self-care journey, I had to remind myself that the weight will come off as I consistently do little changes every day.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Getting Started, I began my weight loss journey with dōTERRA Slim and Sassy. I took one gel capsule 30 mins before every meal and I noticed that it helped control my cravings and I was contented with eating less. I also felt more energized and was more motivated to keep moving throughout the day.


When it came to exercise, I started at a really easy pace. For the first month I only did Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos through Youtube. They have 15 mins, 30 mins, and 45 mins videos to choose from. I started with 15 mins videos and gradually increased the time as gained more strength. You might wonder why I did not walk outside instead and it's because my neighborhood is not really ideal for walking especially with a toddler in a stroller. There's too many cars, stray dogs (and poop), no side walk, etc. Doing my workout at home was the best option.

As I gained more confidence and strength, I switched to a more intense workout. I remembered that someone had given me a Turbo Jam DVD and so I started doing that. I found an 8-week schedule online which I really liked because it outlined what video I'm supposed to do each day. By this time, I had also started taking dōTERRA Life Long Vitality Pack and reduced my intake of dōTERRA Slim and Sassy to 2 times a day (because it was getting really expensive). Taking dōTERRA LLV pack helped me have the energy to still do all my chores without getting burned-out especially that I was doing more intense workouts.



One of the things that I also did while getting into the habit of exercising and taking my supplements was researching online the best ways to lose weight permanently. I am aware of many diets online that promise fast results and I know that those are just not healthy nor sustainable. I've tried some of those diets when I was younger and the weight ALWAYS comes back when you go back to your normal eating habits. I've also researched about the keto diet, paleo diet, intermittent fasting, etc. and though they are very effective for other people, they just don't fit my lifestyle. What I learned is that I need to choose a diet/lifestyle that works for ME. (I'll write more about my eating habits in another post).

While doing my research, I did find a weight loss "hack" that proves to be effective for me. I drink 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with 1 tbsp of Calamansi-Honey mixture and 1/2 cup of water every morning on an empty stomach. I have poor digestion and this mixture helps regulate everything. I heard that it's also effective in burning body fat, but I really don't know how to prove that. I just do it to aid my digestion.


After finishing 8 weeks of Turbo Jam, I got really interested in strength training. I bought a 20 kg dumbell set and searched for a good strength training program online. I found Fitness Blender's 5-day challenges on Youtube and I just loved it! They have 30 mins videos and they also have 50 mins workouts. I do one challenge for 2-3 weeks then switch to a new one after that. I learned that doing a new exercise routine every 3 weeks is important to keep your body from "getting used to it." By changing your exercise program often, your body always have to adapt and it shows better results.

Getting into a habit of exercising daily is hard. It's important to pace yourself and be patient with your progress. Doing too much all at once will only lead to injury, so taking it slowly is very important. Also, I have learned that taking supplements really helps me have the energy to keep going. It's my "elixir" during this self-care journey.

What about you? What's your favorite exercise program? What supplements do you take?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating 102: Diskarte Mode

What 13 Hours of Labor Taught Me

Dating 101: You Will Survive!